Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Very deep thoughts about shoes

Phoebe is right; it is silly to equate having an interest in shoes with an interest in very high heels that are nearly impossible to walk in. I suspect this is one more example of the lingering imprint of Carrie Bradshaw on pop culture. It's bad enough that every National Review column about the kids these days must reference a television show that's been off the air for nearly a decade. Must it also poison lighter-hearted writing about shoes, too? So yes;  it is most emphatically possible to like shoes without being particularly driven to teetering around on stilettos. My own personal weakness runs to very colorful ballet flats, most recently these (which are also quite comfortable for walking), although I have other variations on the theme on my shoe rack that are no longer featured on the internet.

That said, as a naturally short person who occasionally likes passing herself as a not-naturally-somewhat-less-short person, I've had the good comfortable to come across some beautiful shoes that give height but without rendering the kind of pain Hadley Freeman describes in her piece. These pumps in adobe are the most comfortable heels that I've owned in a long time. They are not six inch stilettos, it's true, but three and a quarter extra inches of height is not so shabby either.  I will never attempt a marathon in them -- or, let's be real, a lame quarter-mile interval on the treadmill before going back to weights or abs. But,  like, in contrast to various cheap pumps I had as a summer law intern, I don't feel like I have to slip on flipflops to walk three blocks from my office to the corner deli for a sandwich. For Caucasian women at least, they will also match just about anything and thus are likely to work out well for many on a cost-per-wear basis; recommended.

1 comment:

  1. Your links are giving me ideas. J.Crew does make great-looking ballet flats, and is a mere 10-minute bike ride away. However, the Bloch flats (black patent - after seriously considering the red patent) I'd been coveting finally became available again on Zappos, and just arrived, and are beautiful.

    And while I'm not capable of walking in a narrow heel, the adobe pumps led to a "you may also like" pair of Cole Haan nude wedges that are both on sale and available in my size. Hmm! Totally agreed re: the fun of adding height from time to time, in non-torturous ways. For me, that means a wedge or thick heel, but same idea.

    ReplyDelete