Tuesday, October 6, 2009

RIP Gourmet

Like Megan McArdle, was sorry to hear of Gourmet magazine's decline. But I disagree with McArdle about the huge differential between Gourmet and Bon Appetit. Pnin will attest to my Epicurious junkie-hood, so I know that of which I speak. As described below, my record of outstanding and mediocre recommendations from both magazines seems about equal.

This filet mignon recipe from Bon Appetit is utterly heavenly and rates easily on the top five things or so I've ever made. This salmon from Bon Appetit is also one of Pnin's favorite dishes.

I made this orrechiette a few weeks ago also and it's quite serviceable and easy for a weeknight, if not exactly setting my world afire. And this gemelli from Gourmet was good and easy, but again, not hitting the top list of things I've ever made.

On the other hand, I made this cilantro-coated tilapia last night, which was almost sinfully easy and quite delicious. Pnin thinks it's slightly too spicy, however, so am not sure if I'll repeat it regularly.

This cake from Gourmet is also utterly outstanding. It is one of the best five desserts I've ever made, perhaps the best. But it's a three to four hour project that's not really suitable for regular rotation status.

No comments:

Post a Comment