Monday, January 11, 2010

Another very good sentence

"The fact was, I was not nearly as distressed as the adults around me seemed to suppose."

-- Kazuo Ishiguro, When We Were Orphans.

I am not quite halfway through this novel, so perhaps I should reserve judgment until I finish. But it is quite lovely and is perhaps the best metro book that I have picked up in a while. It is accessible enough for Metro reading, but not so lowbrow as to be stupid. It's about a young British gentleman whose parents disappear mysteriously while living in Shanghai. He grows up to become a detective to the British aristocracy, and one senses that his next battle is to resolve his parents' disappearance. It's the same mix of lush writing and gripping mystery that I loved about Remains Over The Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment